Introductionof the International Delphic Academy (IDA)
at its launching in October 2015, Delphi , Greece
Prof. Dr. Ioannis LIRITZIS
Founding President of the International Delphic Academy
Professor of Archaeometry,
Membre Correspondant de l'Academie des Sciences,
Arts & Belles Lettres, Dijon, France
Member, European Academy of Sciences & Arts, Salzburg
Ηonorary Professor, Samara State Academy of Culture & Arts, Russia
by Professor Ioannis Liritzis (founding president), Delphi
Delphic Academy was established from the beginning of IDC in 1994 (Statues of IDC, §2, 2.4.4, Purpose of Association, with adopted changes in 1995, 2003, 2012). As from 2015 Delphic Academy is an active asset of IDC under the chairmanship of Professor Ioannis Liritzis.
In Delphi Sept 2015 it is expected to become known as the International Delphic Academy (IDA).
IDA is the think-tank of International Delphic Movement / the International Delphic Council (IDC), whereas scientific research, historical documentation, and the interdisciplinary will be cultivated through the coupling areas from arts, culture, science and technology. It is the scientific body of IDC and its World, Regional, Local cultural activities.
With the expected amendments of Sept 2015 Meeting IDA is established for three purposes referring to Culture, Science and Society:
- a. to pursue cultural research and develop strategies to preserve our diversified cultural inheritance in conjunction with the development of society,
- b. to foster scientific work for academic excellence with advanced ideas that would collimate development in Education, Research & Technology at an interdisciplinary level onto human dignity, ecumenical ideals and policy works, and assist national and world decision makers, and,
- c. to increase general public awareness of the fact that the uniqueness of humanity is our cultural diversity,
- d. to turn scientific and research results into practice via the worldwide Delphic network.
These four aims more specifically include also:
- acquaintance and dissemination of the classical Hellenic Culture, as we manifest in the spirit of Delphi, cultural and spiritual cradle of Europe, and at the same time, the global symbol of knowledge, but coordinated with other world similar or parallel cultural legacies.
- scientific research on topical and timeless themes as shown in art, ancient technology, philosophy and literary and archaeological evidence, through various cultural, scientific events (specialized Workshops, Symposia, Conferences, University accredited Summer Institutions, of undergraduate and post graduate level).
- Scientific backbone including also subjects like education of teachers and advanced methods of pedagogic and didactic The objectives of the activities listed concern
- the scientifically reasoned opinions concerning the timelessness of ancient Hellenic ratio (Logos) and contribution to solving of problem in the modern world,
- the emergence and promotion worldwide of ancient Hellenic spirit with emphasis on Delphic Idea.
- Delphic Academy’s motto is that the Discovery of new Worlds in cosmic space is the privilege of those who never stop exploring based on self-knowledge.
(From left to right)
Gathering at the launching at the Castalian Spring: Mr. Ashish Baheti, Mr. JCB Kirsch, Prof. Dr. Ioannis Liritzis, Founding President of the International Delphic Academy, Mr. Loukas I. Anagnostopoulos, Vice-Mayor and Mr. Athanasios Papagiotopoulos, Mayor of the Municipality of Delphi
International Delphic Academy (IDA)
- will serve as the scientific backbone including also subjects like education of teachers and advanced methods of pedagogic and didactic.
- will assist through its Know-How the frequent events of the Delphic World Culture Forum (DWCF).
- will get funding support from the International Delphic Foundation (IDF) and will be the supportive force of the scientific basis for the Delphic Games, Royal Delphic Society and Apollo Awards.
- restates the fifteen Delphic Principles (Ideals, Virtues) that derive from Pythia’s letters, the works of art, the spirit of amphiktionae, and the allegory of myths related to Delphi.
Therefore the vision of the Delphic Academy was given to us:
- The time has come to establish a place, where the Delphic Spirit is promoted, fostered, and trained;
- a place, where young people, politicians, scientists, leadership from all over the World can gather in order to reconnect with Ecumenical values, visions and virtues;
- a new treasury where the jewels of European cultures will merge;
- a modern sanctuary where the beauty of life and humanity will be honoured by arts, science, philosophy.
The International Delphic Academy will cooperate with local private public entities and personalities to foster and promote the region of Delphi. It will also collaborate with any Cultural, Technological and Educational Institute in the World and offer links of Affiliated Institutions.
The Delphic Principles & Ideals stand throughout the time as guiding light and standards and brilliant examples for the whole World. The last sybillic oracle given to Julian however unlike the simplistic interpretation implies the permanent establishment of Apollonian spirit, of priestess’s laurel and of the speaking water in sacred Delphi “the network of temples, the concurrence in nature, where the major senses are met on earth” (Sikelianos).
IDA’s goal is bringing forth of the Delphic Logos .
We as pious pilgrims will foster the torch of eternal Apollonian Light, through documentation and experientially as a new lifestyle, and follow up Eva & Angelos Sikelianos’ initiative beginning of 20th century. Our joint efforts encourage the strength and provide a new onrush in the contemporary bend of soul and in any retreat of struggle, shouting to every combatant:
“ …and Io! Rushes the seed-time and summer rushes on,
Sow the seed, and time will bring the crop”.
(Sikelianos, Delphic Logos)
Prof Ioannis Liritzis
Fifteen Delphic Principles
- Philosophical knowledge
- Fraternity (brotherhood)
- Internal discipline
IDA Structure – Proposal
Under Construction to be completed 2015 / 2016
The IDA is considered as public benefit organisation
2015 / 2016
International Delphic Academy
c/o University of the Aegean
Dept. of Mediterranean Studies
Laboratory of Archaeometry
1 Demokratias Ave.
GR – 85100 Rhodes / GREECE
Tel: (+30) 22410 / 99320
Fax: (+30) 22410 / 99385-6
Prof. Dr. Ioannis Liritzis
Membre Correspondant de l’Academy des Scieneces et Belles-Lettres, Dijon, France
Member, European Academy of Sciences & Arts, Salzburg, Austria; Honorary & Guest Professor Samara State Institute of Culture, Russia
International Delphic Council (IDC), public benefit organisation
Delphic Games Marketing & Rights GmbH, (Ltd.)
Conferences / Seminars
The foundation is not a grant making foundation. It designs and initiates its own projects and develops them through practical implementation
Projects must involve cultural, scientific or social benefits worldwide
Board of Trustees
Income will be generated on endowment and return of Delphic Games Marketing and Rights GmbH, donations from other private and public funders.
Accounting year runs